A dog is like having a toddler in the house, according to many pet owners. It’s interesting that most poisonings take place there. Most are unintentional. Canines make up close to 80% of cases and are more likely than felines to get into trouble. Cats tend to be pickier about what they eat, whereas dogs will readily eat everything they can.
It’s important to note right away that our pets aren’t miniature humans. Even though you can consume the majority of the items on our list, your dog may not be able to. Sadly, consuming some of these substances may have serious or even fatal consequences.
10 Foods That Should Not Be Consumed By Your Dog
Methylxanthines, theobromine, and caffeine are the three components in chocolate that can be poisonous. Unsurprisingly, the holidays are a time when accidental intake is common. The first is the most bothersome, but all are issues. The consequences are more severe the darker the chocolate. The central nervous system (CNS) and heart rhythm can both be affected by methylxanthine.
One ounce or less can be lethal. In as little as 6 hours, you can see symptoms. Extreme thirst, GI distress, hyperactivity, and vomiting are a few of their symptoms. If left untreated, they progress to seizures, then death.
Grapes with Raisins
The tartaric acid in raisins and grapes is what makes them hazardous. It is the fruit’s most prevalent acid. Dog ingestion can harm the liver and result in kidney failure. Usually, within 24 hours, symptoms become obvious. Lethargy, tremors, weakness, and vomiting are a few of them. Within 72 hours of ingestion, kidney failure sets in, necessitating the pet’s euthanasia.
Citric acid has a role in the toxicity of citrus fruits like grapefruits, oranges, and lemons. It significantly affects a food’s pH. For instance, lemon juice has a pH range of 2.0–2.6, making it very acidic. These fruits have the potential to irritate your dog’s mouth and digestive tract lining. Additionally, it can make your pet ill, causing vomiting, and harming their central nervous system.
The ideal exotic fruit is the starfruit. It comes from Southeast Asia and is tasty and generally low in sugar. Unfortunately, both dogs and people may experience issues. Particularly for people with pre-existing diseases, it may result in kidney problems. It is not suggested for pets to take prescription medications because it can affect how well the pills are absorbed. At least in humans, starfruit can also make you feel dizzy and nauseous.
You might be surprised to learn that eating pits from common fruits like apricots, cherries, peaches, and apples might make you sick. They contain a substance known as amygdalin. Because the pits produce cyanide when chewed, they may provoke an allergic reaction in humans or dogs. It doesn’t take much of it to interfere with the body’s ability to utilize oxygen resulting in weakness, vomiting, respiratory distress, and death.
Dietary Sources of Oxalic Acid
The proverbial two-edged sword is oxalic acid. It can be found in foods that are very nourishing, such as almonds, tofu, and spinach. It can, however, combine with calcium or magnesium to form oxalate crystals. Because it can result in sharp and severe decreases in certain minerals, that is where the trouble begins. Kidney injury can result from calcium oxalate.
Leeks, green onions, chives, and garlic
The worst of the bunch is an onion. Each vegetable contains aliphatic sulfides and sulfoxides, which is where the issue comes from. Heinz’s body anemia, which results in the oxidation of red blood cells, can be brought on by these substances. It takes only 15–30 g/kg to be poisonous.
It may surprise you to learn that avocados are included. It doesn’t appear to be a dangerous dish, other than the sizable pit and its fat content. It serves as an illustration of the various sensitivities of various animals. The poisoned person is to blame in this instance. Vomiting and nausea can result from ingestion. Additionally, it might harm the heart.
The ground seeds of the plant are used to make mustard. It contains isothiocyanate, a chemical substance. Additionally, cruciferous plants like kale and broccoli contain it. The stomach of your dog may become irritated and develop gastroenteritis if they consume too much of this substance. Abdominal pain, vomiting, and drooling are symptoms of poisoning.
Everyone has the common mental image of a dog joyfully gnawing on a bone. Sadly, it can also cause issues, especially if it splinters. When a pet chews on a bone, it could injure its mouth or break its teeth. A gastrointestinal blockage could result from swallowing any shards or bits, which would be a medical emergency. Your dog would undoubtedly enjoy chewing on a bone, but the risk is not worth it.
It’s understandable that someone would want to give their pet something tasty. Our pets are, after all, our closest buddies. Making it a habit, though, is bad advice. Many perfectly acceptable foods have the potential to damage or even poison our dogs. Simply put, the risk is not worth it. There are several less risky ways to develop a relationship with your dog without having to make an urgent trip to the clinic.
For more articles, visit our blog